Wednesday, January 28, 2009

As The Clock Winds Down

Today started off with Jerry resting comfortably..and continued that way throughout most of the day. There were a couple of incidents this morning where his blood pressure dropped extremely low - to the point that the doctors would have to severely medicate him to get his blood pressure back to normal.

The afternoon passed relatively calm without incident.

This evening, as we gathered to celebrate Michael's 16th birthday, Jerry's blood pressure dropped into the 70s a couple of times, and then stabilized. At 9:00 pm, we were informed that his blood pressure dropped yet again, and they are now administering him to almost the maximun level of the blood pressure medicine they can..he is currently at 4.0 ml and they can only go as high as 4.2 ml...the rest will be up to the hands of fate.

It is unclear at this moment how soon Jerry will turn to the Guardian Angels and go home. We are hoping that he will make it thru the 28th so as not to taint Michael's birthday forever more.

7 comments:

  1. Jerry, you're a great guy. If I don't see you again soon, your humor and wit will be missed. I'm sorry I was so late in learning of what has happened, but my strength to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cahills,
    You have all been on my mind since this all started. My thoughts and prayers have been with you each and every day. Jerry will be safe in God's care.

    I love you all!
    Jennifer Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my beloved Jer,
    You've fought the good fight, loved so many and God is pleased and calling you home. Be in peace my friend and watch over and protect me from heaven. I look forward to the day when we're reunited. I will miss you on earth, be with me through your loving spirit.

    Dear Cahill family,
    Although I've never met you in person, I feel as though I know you well, as Jerry and I have been close friends for 3 years. You're in my prayers during this most difficult time.

    Thank you for the committment to communication through this blog. I'm forever grateful. I hope to meet you someday. May the days ahead bring you strength.

    Love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Jerry and his family,

    May God bring you love overflowing and peace overflowing and all of His glory. May you be strengthened and brought closer to God and each other through what you've been through. I take comfort in this verse from a Jars of Clay song - may it be true for you:

    I will sing of Your Mercy
    That leads me through valleys of sorrow
    To rivers of Joy!

    Love and Peace,

    Shellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry,

    I hope things are peaceful for you as time winds down. The fairness of what is happening to you crosses my mind from time to time, but I don't dwell on that too long. Choices we make bring people in and out of our lives and they all serve a purpose...my choices in the past have led to my and my family's relationship with you. You have always been like a brother to me and like an uncle to my kids and I hope you have always felt that. We will miss you physically (barring a medical breakthrough), but you will live on in our memories that I am sure we will revisit often. "Thank you" doesn't seem like enough to even begin to repay you for all you have done and judging from the response of othe rposters on this blog, your presence in people's lives will have an everlasting effect.

    So thank you for your friendship, for always listening but never judging, for offering sound support in the form of wise advice, for laughing at how funny life can be even during it's more solemn moments, for being there in good and bad times, for watching my three boys when Steph and I needed to get away for an evening, for joining us for Sunday night dinners, and for just being you.

    Words do none of the feelings justice and the time spent with you seems so fleeting. The one last gift you have given me is freedom from past regrets, as becoming your friend has made those questionable choices in my past moot at best. I am honoured to call you my friend and wish you the best regardless the outcome.

    Love ya,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerry & Family:

    You are in my prayers.
    That is all I can say at a time like this.
    You are in my prayers.

    Ken Lillig, Cedar Rapids, IA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerry,
    I called your phone today, just to hear your voice again, I miss it so much. I will miss you dearly. I got a good laugh today describing the nickname you gave me, Dawnalizer. Your impact will love on in my life.

    You are loved.

    Love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete