Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Moment of Peace

Jerry has decided to stop receiving medicines and fluids as well as accepting the no-go on the Chemo and Radiation. He is however, still taking meds to alleviate any pain he is in.

He is resting fairly comfortably and family and close friends have been by his side all day. He no longer has the oxygen pressure mask or tubes on him constantly- he has instead chosen to take it off and talk with people when he can. He does have the small tube in his nose so he is still receiving oxygen as needed.

The hospital has stopped giving him meds (per his request) and are still slightly monitoring him. He has declared his request to live out the remainder of his days in comfort and not have all the drugs and machines hooked up to him. It has been hard to hear, but we are respecting his wishes and hoping for the best. His vitals this evening were very good - his breathing seems to actually have improved some from earlier in the day.

We have been visiting him individually for about 10 minutes at a time so as not to overwhelm him, or tire him out.

We do not have any sort of time frame for Jerry... we have been told it could be hours, days or even a week. A Priest came in to visit with him earlier this evening to help him be at peace.

Jerry seems at peace for the first time in a long time and he does not look in too much pain.

6 comments:

  1. There are no words. Jerry we love you and want you to be at peace and be pain free. How I wish this would just turn around and change directions more than anything. It changed to quick and seems so unfair. We send you our prayers and love. I lost my Mom 1-1/2 years ago and Kevin lost his Dad less then a year ago...we are not ready to lose another person we care so much for and haven't had enough time to know. But we do understand quality of life and want what is best for you. Be at peace and know we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is a very difficult time for you and your family. Please know that you have touched more people with your warm smile than you will ever know. I am still praying for a miracle.

    Be blessed.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry, although I've only met you once, your love, peace and presence has remained with me. Thank you for the joy and love you've given to those who know you.
    Mary Moeller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry, Over the years I have been with Camellot you were my summer friend, always ready with a smile, a joke and advice when needed. Thank you. I really don't know what to say except peace be with you and know you have made a big difference in a lot of lives.
    Tamara Kingston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry and family,

    I have delayed posting because following the blog brings back emotions in me that I thought were gone, having survived my own fight with cancer.

    Jerry: sorry to hear that treatments haven't been effective. You've made a decision that was only a potential one for me. I will continue to lift you up in my prayers. I will miss your good humor and the occasional speechless moment ;-).

    Jerry's family: it stinks, not being able to make things better. Take the time with Jerry that you need so you will have no regrets. The roller coaster you've been on has now leveled out but not in the way you hoped for. I will also continue to lift you up in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete