Monday, January 12, 2009

A Matter of Time

The clock is winding down and the inevitable is upon us.

Jerry is done fighting the good fight and is now remaining with us in comfort for his last amount of time. How long that will be is now up to him.

Mom, dad, sisters, nieces and nephews; cousins and dearest long time family friends are with him at the moment. Those that were here and couldn't remain for various reasons are here in spirit and are being kept updated regularly.

The "old neighborhood" came en masse last night and visited as well - sharing storeis of Ally McBeal night and other fond memories from back in the day.

We managed to have a "slumber party" if you will with about 20 people here all night in the waiting room. We have shared some memorable stories and antics of Jerry while also brinigng a lively decibel level to the ICU halls at 2:00 am.

Jerry rested comfortably last night and his vital stats have remained unchanged. His blood pressure is dropping, but his oxygen and heart rate are still very good. He has agreed to put the oxygen pressure mask on to help him breath, but at this point, other than the pain meds - that is the only assistance he is receiving medically.

It seems he is no longer quite lucid (although, it is 8am so he could have been out of it due to sleep). Not even Aunt Barb singing "You Sexy Thing" seemed to register with him.

He is back to facing outside and the cityscape of Kansas City for his last views, along with various family picutres and notes on the wall for him.

We will all remain by his side until such time that he decides to move on to his next step - hoping that is a long time coming.

11 comments:

  1. Jerry You have shared so much with my family. I love you and will always cherish the fun we all had together. Peace be with you Jer. You are soo special.
    Love always, Shelly, Lani, and Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you ALL!! You have such an amazing and close family, you will all get through these tough times together! Thank you for all the updates, even when it's hard.
    Ashley Burchert and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally McBeal nights - I was thinking about those this morning and what fun they were.

    I love you Jerry and am keeping you and your family in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there was more time to tell you all of the things I want to say. You have been a good friend to me, Scott and the boys. I knew we would be friends from the first time we met and I am just sorry that it wasn't sooner. I have had the pleasure of your company and the grace of your friendship. I pray for a miracle. I love you...we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A heart-felt thank you to the Cahill family for the Jerry updates and for helping our dear, dear friend move on to the next chapter surrounded by family, laughter and the reminder that he has been so loved by so many. It has been a pleasure to know him and an honor to work along side him on the board of Camellot Academy. I know I speak for the entire board when I say Jerry, you will be missed.
    -Vida Bikales

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Jerry and his family, I can't say thanks enough for the friend you have been to the Crow family you take in my wife and kids during summer time for camp and before that the friend you was to my wife Trinda. I have had the pleasure of knowing you for the past 7 years and for that time I know my life and my family has been blessed by you again thanks so much for just being Jerry!!!

    Love the CROW and DAVIS family.
    Leon, Trinda, Britney, Kevin and Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerry,

    I love you.
    Trinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I send my prayers to Jerry and the Cahill family during these most difficult and trying times. I worked with Jerry for five years in Kansas City and he loved to laugh and always put others first before him. I remember his kindness and "smile" the most. He always took time out to listen and took an unselfish approach to life which I will always remember about him. God Bless Jerry and Family.

    ~Brad Strathman (Colorado Springs)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fr. Avis will offer Mass for Jerry at 6:00 tonight at the Old St. Patrick's Oratory in Kansas City.

    http://www.institute-christ-king.org/kansascity/

    -- Charley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Words cannot express the depth of my sorrow at hearing this news. Jerry, Mollie and I love you so much. You have been a very important person in the life of my daughter and for that, you are so special to me. And the rest of the Cahills, you are such an important piece of my and Mollie's history. You will forever be in my heart. You are all part of the fabric of Mollie and Nanci. Thank you. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jerry
    I love you and thank you for being such a wonderful, honest, loving friend. Just knowing you has made me a better and stronger person. As everyone does I wish I had more time to let you know how much you mean to me and how much you have helped me these past couple of years. You always brighten up my day, you just know how to make the world smile. You have touched my heart with how generous and caring you are which I can see your wonderful family had a part in that, they are as caring and loving as you. You will always be on my mind and in my heart.xxxxxxxxxxoooooooooo
    Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete