Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Sucker Punch to the Gut

Well, overnight things have gone from not great - to just darn right not good at all, dare I say- even bad.

Jerry is now in the ICU at KUMed. They put him there last evening as his heart rate was extremely low and they were taking some precautionary measures. They managed to get that stabilized, but kept him in in ICU for monitoring and "just in case" his heart or blood pressure dropped again. They have him hooked up to a feeding tube so he is now getting nutrition back into his body (yeah!) as well as an IV with fluids to keep him hydrated.

They also took another CAT scan of his body last night just to check things out.

...and that's where things went South....

The tumor has now grown to the size of a basketball. His Lymph nodes are severly swollen with Cancer at this point, and that is also making it diffucult for him to breath & swallow. Both of these combined is what is causing Jerry so much pain as well as his loss of appetite.

The Cancer has also spread to several more parts of his body, including more in the bones and one lung. They have determined that he has a "solid" Cancer and not a blood Cancer (which is a good step in the right direction on figuring this out), but still unsure the origin of the Primary Cancer cells.

The Oncologist and Radiologist are supposed to come in today ASAP and figure out what we can do from here. They want to start him on radiation IMMEDIATELY to try and reduce the size of the tumor and see if it helps things or not.

At this point, not really sure how things are going to progress. In the 5 weeks since Jerry was diagnosed, this Cancer has spread rapidly and with a viciousness that is unrivaled.

Please say an extra prayer/thought/chant for him today if you have the time. I have a feeling he is going to need everything he can get.

Once we know more from the doctors, I'll re-post information to keep you updated, but for now... a grim outlook.

5 comments:

  1. Jerry -

    I just want to let you know how much I love you. You were my first official crush and once I figured out that my dreams of marrying you and becoming an official part of the Cahill family weren't going to happen, you became a wonderful friend and like another brother to me.

    I am praying for you everyday and I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help. You are an amazing friend, brother, uncle and son and you are so loved by everyone who has had the privledge of knowing you. Hang in there and know that we are all fighting for you. I love you!

    Heather Jonson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry,

    We are so sorry to hear how difficult this has become. We are praying for you and thinking of you all the time. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you or your mom or anything. Keep Fighting!!!
    Love Ya
    Elizabeth & Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jerry,

    A multitude of prayers are going up for you and I am asking that an army of angels surround you and your family for the strength and guidance that you need during this time of so much uncertainty.

    I miss your bright smile and witty, humorous comments.

    Be strong and know that I'm praying for you.

    Much love,

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry and family,

    Have been following the blog daily and praying for God's healing mercy for you. If we could take some of your pain we would gladly do so. Our thoughts and prayers are with you always. We pray for relief from the pain and strength to fight this cancer. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

    Ginger, Tom, Amanda, Brandon, Cameron & Dustin

    ReplyDelete