Monday, January 12, 2009

Hanging In

The day is waning and Jerry is still holding on.

He has had a good day with his vitals and was put on meds to help maintain his blood pressure levels. He is no longer using the pressure mask for oxygen instead moving back to the oxygen hose into his nose. He actually seems to be breathing easier this way.

At our request, they did draw some blood late this morning to let us know how everything stand.s As suspected, his liver is no longer processing anything; his kidneys are failing and his blood pressure is dropping.

Jerry is not speaking too much today. It seems to zap him of energy and strength and we've decided to let him do as little as possible.

We have spoken to a few people here in the Palliable Care unit to help everyone cope and (eventually) move forward. The kids are dealing as well as can be expected, the adults are doing exactly like you think they would be doing.

It has been a long day, and the evening hours will be equally as long and harrowing.

9 comments:

  1. Fr. Avis will offer Mass for Jerry at 6:00 tonight at the Old St. Patrick's Oratory in Kansas City.

    http://www.institute-christ-king.org/kansascity/

    -- Charley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry, There are not enough words to describe what a wonderful man you are. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a special place for you in heaven, and oh how beautiful it will be. The things that we will never forget about you Jerry is your beautiful smile, caring heart, and your amazing friendship! You will be forever in our hearts we will miss you so much but we will never ever forget all of the wonderful fun memories. I asked my brother Tony to meet you when you go to heaven and give you your first tour of the most beautiful place you will ever see. We love you Jerry and will never forgot you! God bless you Cahill family you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Love always, Genna, Mike and Maria Kramer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys I can't imagine the heartbreak that you are going through right now. I hope that Jerry knows how much we are thinking about and praying for him. Traci, the kids and I send our love to all of you who are there right now. Please let us know if we can do anything to help no matter what it is. If not, you can count on our prayers. Jerry, I wish you were strong enough to toss me into that damn swimming pool again but I suppose I'll let it slide for now. I love you and hope you are feeling at ease my man. Take care and God Bless.

    -The Massey family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, Tanya and all of Jerry's loved ones: know that we here in Iowa are asking that God surround you all in His immense love. Can you feel it? Surely Jerry can feel it, as he can sense your devotion and love for him. This is a special time for your family and I pray that these moments are cherished in memory all of your life. God bless you all and now I offer up a special prayer for Xander on his birthday and a wish for a beautiful, happy long life. The connection between you, Jerry and God is so strong. Thank you for sharing with us and letting us know about this blog. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. Kathy & Chick-lits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry,

    As much as it pains me to write this, it was good to be able to see you one last time and say good bye. Even though I couldn't get the words out of my mouth, I could tell by the look in your eyes that you understood what I felt and what you mean to me and my family. I can promise you the boys will never forget you and that going to Jerry's house was a much anticipated event. I am eternally grateful for your friendship thru thick and thin--thanks for always being positive, keeping me focused, and for being a great listener. Without your support, who knows what would have happened this past summer.

    For selfish reasons I want you to fight on, but I am glad you are doing this on your own terms. Quality of life and being with loved ones is your style and I celebrate your choice in your final days and hours. Rest in peace, my friend.

    You will live on in our memories forever--that is eternal life...

    With much love,

    Scott, Steph, Ethan, Aidan, and Kade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerry,

    Know that you have touched many with your smile and warm personality.

    Family,

    Know that many people are praying for your comfort at this very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dearest Friend,

    It is hard to believe it has been over 25 years that you came into my life so unexpectedly. I still say you got me in the divorce. You have brought millions of smiles and laughs into my and many other's lives. You are the best!!!!!!!!!!!

    In days to come you'll be able to throw sticks and run through grassy meadows with Elliott - take Kelsea with you will ya? She preferred chasing balls though. Give Veda long pets and look out for BBs head. Tell Greg hi.

    You've done more for the world that you will ever know. You'll be sorely missed.

    I love you more than I could ever tell you. You are doing this like you do everything - with class.

    I had the honor of being with my grandmother when she died. She hadn't opened her eyes in days and at the end she did and clearly saw the most beautiful thing she ever saw. I look forward to your showing me around when I get there.

    I typed all of this before and it disappeared. If it somehow shows up again I'm sorry for the re-post.

    Cahill family,
    Thank you for being there for Jerry for those of us who couldn't.

    I Love You, Jer,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jerry,
    Although I've only met you once, your radiant light and love for all shined during that short visit! My husband and I both commented on what a wonderful person you are. What a blessing you have been for all those who knew and loved you. What a blessing for those of us who had the wonderful opportunity to know you for a very short time. Your shining light will remain a part of my life and all those you have touched. Thank you!
    Mary Moeller

    ReplyDelete
  9. To: Jerry's friends and family,
    You have not met me nor have I ever met you. I live in Minneapolis and received a prayer request from a friend in Cedar Rapids. Know that by keeping this blog, You are helping people who
    are being drawn to your story through mysterious means. I have most recently lived through my fathers final year in his home along with hospice. It was very difficult but I am so appreciative that my brother and I had this precious time and opportunity. We are changed forever ad I know you will be too.I will continue to read your posts and pray for his peace as he moves on home again.
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete